14 July 2010

Paranormal “Reality” Shows

I’ve noticed in recent years, the increase in fascination with the paranormal. The age of “reality TV” has brought with it several “paranormal investigative” shows that make the paranormal seem ever present in daily life. As a student of the paranormal, I often enjoy some of these shows! In fact I would call myself a fan of several but some have done nothing more than irritate me.

One show in particular (that shall remain nameless) where the “lead” investigator is often heard saying something along the lines of; “I’ve never been so scared in my life!” is one of my least favorite. Although he’s an attractive “host”, he may want to consider a different line of investigation…especially since he seems scared out of his wits so often throughout the investigations. None the less, the show seems to be enjoyed by many since it is now beyond its first season.

My point in mentioning this show and others like it is that they often give the viewers the impression that provoking a spirit or even inviting a spirit or demon to possess you (which I did see in one of these shows…) that you are not, in a way, creating more chaos, feeding an entity and granting it powers it could not possess otherwise. Why is it that the paranormal seems to be turning into a form of entertainment?

Now, I admit to being a bit of a “Mulder” but I am also a bit of “Scully”… I believe it’s there, I just want to have scientific evidence to back it up…is that so wrong? I’ve often wondered if some of these shows present us with honest to goodness evidence or if some of it is fabricated. It’s not that I disbelieve the paranormal in any way, I just wonder about the integrity of some of these shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment